Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baby update


I haven't blogged in like 5 weeks... quite a bit has happened since then. My gestational diabetes is in check for the most part as long as I don't go crazy on my diet and take my insulin. The not going crazy on my diet thing has been hard the last 2 weeks. I am trying though and can make it at least 1/2 the day with out cheating on something high carb. We have been doing fetal monitoring for the past month since I'm on insulin. I get strapped to the monitor for approximately 30-45 minutes each doctor appointment, which are weekly now. The theory behind the monitoring i s if the baby is having periods of active (higher heart beat) and of inactive (lower heart beat) that the placenta is maintaining it's integrity. Which all breaks down to he is doing fine and there are no concerns.

I still am having breathing problems but have come to my own conclusion about that issue. When we went to the hospital that night they asked me about contractions and I told them I wasn't having any. They didn't put me on a monitor to check though either. Just the fetal monitor and blood pulse/oxygen monitor. I honestly think what was happening was I was having contractions and didn't know it. I believe this since I am having contractions regularly now and at least half of the time I can't breathe properly and it feel like a band (pressure) across my chest. Now I just breathe trough them the best I can and remind myself that these are still the practice contractions.

We had our 36 week ultrasound this week. The baby is doing great . There were concerns that he would be too big and we would have to talk induction. The exact opposite happened. He is slightly big but nothing worrisome. He weighed approximately 6 lbs 15 ozs, it is just an estimate because it is hard to tell with an ultrasound this late in the pregnancy. He is still pointed down and things look good. Our doctor thinks now we might actually make it closer to the due date unless I go into active labor. We are in the safe zone now so I don't care if I go into labor early. It's hard to believe that in a few short weeks he will be here. I am officially off from work now since I was exhausted. I qualify for short term disability since I am considered high risk. So, now my goal is getting the house clean, ready, and everything done before Tristan makes his debut.

No comments: