Saturday, August 29, 2009

Always more drama... Baby update

At our 29 week OB appt she informed us that I had to go on insulin because Tristan was measuring 2 weeks early and weighed 3.9 lbs during the 29 week ultrasound. I was measuring at about 31 cm. So, as we expected we are having a big baby. The OB stated that the insulin should slow down the baby's growth from the extra sugar he's getting. If he gets too big then I can't deliver naturally. She informed us that she would already want to induce me a week early but if he gets over 11 lbs then she will probably have to do a c-section. The Doctor also told us that we don't want the baby to be hypoglycemic after birth, if he is he has to be monitored, this is why my glucose levels have to get more in check. I was shipped off to meet with another doctor and to start taking insulin immediately. That was at our last appointment.

This week (WEEK 31) has been one of ups ands downs for us. I had my routine OB appointment on Monday. The Nurse Practitioner asks me if the OB told us what it now means for the baby and delivery now that I am on insulin. I repeated what we had been told at the last appointment. The NP states no, the baby will have to go to NICU after birth for at least 5-6 hours for observation regardless. This is standard for insulin GD patients. Of course I was devastated and started crying. I asked how it would effect breastfeeding immediately and was told I would have 30 minutes approximately with the baby before he was moved. Once I was cleaned up, etc (even if I have to have a c-section) then I can be wheeled down to NICU as well. I tried to find out the correlation between insulin use and c-sections at our hospital the NP didn't know but thought it was low. Luckily I know my doctor is all for a vaginal delivery and will try to make sure that happens before making me have a c-section. On a side note I am now measuring 3 weeks early... big baby since I have only gained 3 lbs. Don't even get me started on how the NP insulted me (at least I think so) about my weight. If you read this you know at one point my weight gain was 9 lbs.... for the last 2 appointments it has stayed steady at 3lbs. Lets just say she implied that I had been over eating and could tell when I started eating right since I lost weight.!. Lets not forget I have a medical diagnosis that made me (and baby) gain extra weight or the fact that our baby is big. Once I have the baby I will probably weigh less than pre-pregnancy since my weight gain is less than his weight. Not to mention the weight of the placenta and other things.

We are taking child birth prep classes at our hospital. So Tuesday night we went there for a class. Overall the class was good and the day was uneventful. I did notice that evening that I was feeling a little dizzy and having difficulty breathing but figured it was due to our big lo. Wednesday I wake up feeling awful and having quite a bit of problem breathing. I was having side rib, upper/mid back, and chest pain off and on all day. I was barely able to breathe at some points during the day. At the urging of my mother (I'm stubborn and probably wouldn't have called otherwise) I called my OB's office. I' was told due to the rib/chest pain they are very concerned. I am immediately to go to the ER. So my husband and I spend 4 hours in the Labor/Delivery Triage at our hospital. They checked my urine, did a chest x-ray, fetal monitoring, pulse/oxygen check, and multiple blood pressure checks. I wasn't having any other pain and there was no swelling. At the end of the stint we are told... well the Doctor says you can go home. It is either muscular pain from the pregnancy/big baby in your ribs and chest. Or it is the baby making it so you can't breath since he is so active. If you are hurting then take Tylenol. Needless to say I was irritated and grumpy from having to be there, not to mention starving since I have to eat every 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours due to the GD. But also relieved that it was nothing after all. The up note to the week was during our class Thursday night we discussed the NICU. I mentioned to the labor and delivery nurse who teaches the class what the NP told us early in the week. She told us.. actually we had a meeting today and that is no longer the rule. The baby will stay with you (our hospital is very pro-rooming in) and it is up to the nursing staff to monitor the baby closely. Like I said a week of ups and downs. I am very happy that today starts week 32. Hopefully the breathing pain will get better... but I think it is here until the baby drops.

1 comment:

Enrique Sanchez said...

GOOD LUCK! you sound so happy for it!