I haven't blogged in awhile... not that there isn't information to share. More likely there has been too much information. My Gestational Diabetes is a big pain in the butt. I try to eat right and follow the diet. I read every label and measure my food. My glucose levels are excellent during the day. Only twice since starting the diet or nutritional plan has my daytime levels been high. The first time I ate a different type of raisin bran for breakfast and think that is what did it. The second time, well I forgot to eat for 6 hours and then ate a snack at 7pm and then dinner at 8:30pm. Needless to say this was not following the eat every 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hour rule. My sugar level was 174... which was the highest it has ever been since I have started checking it. I skipped my evening snack.. because honestly it was already 11pm and my sugar was too high to eat again. The next morning I started over and have been doing better. The fasting levels (aka checking first thing in the morning before eating anything) are an entire different issue. Regardless of what I eat the night before my levels are always above 90. They are supposed to be below 90 every morning... it just isn't happening and I don't know why. I also have to check my ketone levels... aka sugar in my urine. I have to check this every single day, first thing in the morning. My levels rocket around from trace (not an issue) amounts to sky high (something that can land me on bed rest.) If I don't eat enough carbohydrates (the right kind at that) the night before or I eat too much then it messes the level up. It is a very tricky thing to master. What works for me one night doesn't work the next. All in all it frustrates me and I am just about to give up... basically I know they are going to make me meet with an endocrinologist and I will have to go on insulin. They are also probably going to want to induce me or schedule a c-section. One I can live (after much internal struggle) with the other is not happening unless they can prove to me it's a medical emergency. This irritates me beyond belief since I have tried and tried to get this right and it all seems for nothing. I just want to eat like a normal person again. I want to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I don't want to measure things or read labels any more. This diet as well as the pregnancy has my IBS all messed up as well. I am tired or thinking about food every single minute of my day, it rules my life now... and it just sucks.
The following week after my diagnosis (literally 1 week later.) my Dad had to have emergency triple bypass surgery. He did well in the surgery but developed complications with his pain medications afterwards. He literally could not support his own body weight with the help of 3 nurses and couldn't identify the color white. His nurse asked him the color of her shirt to try to see if he was functioning at the right level. They took him off of all pain medications within 48 hours of having the surgery. He literally thought he was dying and I can see why. I don't know how my Mom was able to be by his side the entire time that night, since he was in so much pain and we could do nothing for him. Once the pain medication was out of his system they were able to give him something else. Again, this didn't work for him. Eventually he got Tylenol... amazing this worked and he was alert and able to function. He was able to go home on time, which we weren't sure of just a few days after the surgery. He is doing very well though and making progress every day. He was put on an antibiotic today at a check up since part of his incision was red and tender. Otherwise there is no concerns. He is due to start rehab sometime this month... so we shall see what happens after that.
For two whole weeks we had no bad news... but work was awful. We are starting to see the bad economy affect our jobs. Not that I have to worry about not having a job, budget cuts and all... but we are seeing a sharp rise in reports/cases for this time of year. To top it all off.. we just found out that Bran's Grandpa is not doing well. The family believes he won't last much longer. We are making the trip to go visit this weekend. It has been a hard, difficult month. I am just hoping that the weeks ahead get a little easier in some aspect. I'm officially in my third trimester. We have started child birth classes. But I am stressed out about finding a daycare provider and pediatrician, decorating the nursery, having every thing we need for breast feeding and cloth diapering.. etc. The next few months should be fun... sigh. Throughout this all i keep telling myself.. don't whine or complain too much. There are otehrs (several close friends actually) who would give anything to have to deal with all this crap as long as it meant they are pregnant. So, if I'm not blogging much it's because I am trying to not complain and just take it day by day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment