This past Tuesday we had our OB appt and 29 week Ultrasound. The Ultrasound was scheduled because Tristan didn't want to cooperate with the first one. He was very active and they couldn't get a good picture of his heart. Our OB wasn't extremely concerned but she wanted to make sure his heart was okay. Everything with Tristan looks wonderful... except for the fact he looks big! He weighed 3 lbs 9 ozs on Tuesday which is above the average weight for 29 1/2 weeks. When they measured him.. .he measured big. As in, his time schedule is more likely 2 weeks earlier than my due date. This can be from genetics and my gestational diabetes.
Since I have gestational diabetes and Tristan is measuring big there is a concern about whether or not we can have a natural birth. For those who don't know.. we are planning a natural birth. I don't want an epidural or any pain medications if I can help it. Our plans may get over ruled though. Our OB is all for a natural vaginal birth as well.. but if Tristan continues to get big then she will induce me. I had come to grips with that and was basically okay with it. Basically they will force my body into labor early with medications but then I can have a natural birth from there. Or at least that was my hope. Due to the fact that my fasting glucose levels haven't been in range from day one..(doesn't matter that during the day my levels have only been out of range twice and that was diet error on my part)... I was placed on insulin. I was told we could be possibly looking at not only a induction but a c-section. The c-section I am dead set against... my body is made to deliver a child you don't have to cut him out of me. I don't like the fact that Tristan would be getting all the medications I get as well. Who knows what those medications could do to him. It doesn't help that I spoke to some friends this week that had to have a c-section, their baby was breech. She told me it was the scariest then she had ever been through and now the baby is having problems getting rid of amniotic fluid out of her stomach since that usually happens during the labor/birthing process. I don't like the fact that I would have to have some major pain medications and/or anesthesia. The one time I have had surgery I did not do well with the anesthesia. It caused problems with my other health issues and I had to go back to the hospital for an overnight stay with 48 hours.... and this was with an outpatient surgery not a major surgery. This is why I don't take pain medication for any length of time since it always messes up my system. The insulin will hopefully fix the issues so Tristan doesn't get too big.... I think the doctor will let me try naturally as long as he is under 11 lbs. We had to immediately go to see an endocrinologist following the OB appt. We ended up spending 3 1/2-4 hour in doctor offices/waiting rooms that afternoon.
Bran is extremely worried about the entire situation. He also doesn't want a c-section. He is afraid something will go wrong during the process. He is also afraid what the gestational diabetes could mean for me and Tristan. His father is also insulin dependent... he had hoped that neither of us or our child would ever have to deal with diabetes. We will have another Ultrasound before delivery. Probably near the end of September. We have been bumped up to the every 2 weeks appts... since today is the beginning of week 30. During the appointments they will start fetal monitoring as well, this is due to the gestational diabetes. If things don't look well then they will have me do a stress test. I get to look forward to monthly Endocrinology appointments and more blood work also. I just keep telling myself in the end we will have a beautiful, healthy little boy. If nothing else he is extremely healthy... and we discovered this week he has a ton of hair growing on the back of his head already. Fun times ahead... I am trying to keep positive but there are days were it is extremely hard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm sorry you're having all of these problems, try to keep thinking positive and stay strong. Just because one person has a horror story to share doesn't it's true for everyone, you could find a million positive outcomes as well. Of course you're in my thoughts and prayers...
To counteract any horror stories: I had two children, natural childbirith with no medications, with midwives and no doctors present. Both experiences were wonderful - I returned home 3 hrs after giving birth both times. My second child was a whopping ten pounds! I had to induce castor oil to help with contractions and believe me she "flew out" soon thereafter! So, the best of luck! Everyone's experience is unique.
Sorry, that should have said "ingest" castor oil. ha ha
Post a Comment