Wednesday, July 15, 2009

5th OB appt and testing

Soo.. this week has been trying. I am an emotional wreck. At the appointment on Monday they took blood work part of which was a 1 hour glucose test. We found out I'm anemic and have to take a supplement. This is not a shocker since I have been anemic for a few years and should be taking a supplement when I'm not pregnant. Also, my blood sugar was elevated.... so I had to do a 3 hour glucose test. I also gained 8 pounds in a month. So, I went from 1 pound weight gain in five months to 9 pounds in 6 months. sigh. The interesting part of the appointment was when they attempted to listen to Tristan's heart beat. He was having none of this. He actually hit or kicked at the heart monitor once and then was all over the place. It took about 10 minutes for him to settle down so they could get a good heart beat reading. Of course this was also with him having a major sugar rush for the glucose testing.
I had my 3 hour glucose screen this morning.. as always the fasting glucose screen was delightful and fun. Can you notice the sarcasm? Apparently several of the techs there couldn't find my veins easily. I now have 6 needle marks for the 4 vials of blood they took. The mark on my wrist from Monday's test is still there. I have some minor bruising.. but I swear people are going to think I am a junkie... since the marks are on my hand, wrist, inside elbow, and inner arm. fun times. I got my results back this afternoon and I officially have gestational diabetes. I am not dealing very well with this today and have cried off and on all afternoon/evening. Diabetes strikes very close to home and was something I hoped to never have to go through. I'm waiting for a call from the specialist so I can set up an appointment. I think part of the problem was going from thinking I had a normal pregnancy with no health risks (last month my doctor told me I was healthy and doing good!) to being a high risk pregnancy. It's been a long, long week and it's only Wednesday.

4 comments:

Amie said...

I'm sorry. :o(
Nicole had gestational diabetes also, I'm sure she would talk to you if you would like...it might help since she went through the same thing, and her dad has diabetes also.

Michele said...

I had a friend who had GD. She followed the diet religiously and had no problems with the pregnancy. She also followed the diet after she gave birth and her pregnancy weight melted off of her. I couldn't believe how quickly she lost weight. I don't know if any of this makes you feel better. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. I have absolutely no information or words of wisdom, but I'm sure you will come through it all just fine!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Kristy keep us posted