Saturday, January 10, 2009

Something new and interesting....or maybe not.

So work as been going fairly well this week. I am supposed to be setting professional goals for myself for the next year.. hmm. That is a hard one. I even got asked if I would like to switch to case management eventually. I don't know is the honest answer. Case Management is the flip side of DCS. I work for CPS... everyone knows what CPS does to a certain degree. Actually, I met a lot of families, make a lot of phone calls, sometimes go to court, and rarely do a removal (aka. foster care placement.) Anyway... Case Management or On-going as we call.... they deal with the families that we determine need services. If I am working with a family and they need help for more than 30 days they go to on going. That is pretty simplified but overall what happens. There are levels and different types of on-going.. Anyway. On-going doesn't do on-call in out county. FYI if you work in another county in Indiana they do.. but ours.. nope. We are special I guess. So, that would be a plus.. never on-call again. But, I am only on-call 1-2 weeknights a month and 1 week every 3 months. Is that really that bad? I mean I used to be on-call 1 entire week a month. Plus now in CPS I can earn overtime because I have to be on call.... sometimes we even earn it not being on call. On-going.. the don't earn overtime. They can flex the schedules... but it is a very time consuming job and people work on that side of the building just as long as we do. Hmm. The only way I can see me changing is if I get pregnant. But, who knows, I need to think about it.
So, I went to the doctor after having this cough for a month. Basically she tells me what I already knew.. it's sinus drainage. But! I had a slight temp while I was there and some slight sinus pain... so that earned me some antibiotics and being told to take Mucinex twice a day for awhile. okay. Up note the antibiotics are a Z-pac... which mean 5 days only and only 1 pill a day at that. The Mucinex I could live with out.. but I will take it until the Z-pac is done. I am coughing less but it seems to now be in my sinuses only. Lovely.. she did tell me that some people have had this crap since October. Delightful... I have been there and done that a few years ago. Not happening again if I can help it or at least not all the testing and medications. Because in the end this is what I was told... you body just has to health itself and I was medicating you so others probably wouldn't get it. WHAT? Have me take copious amounts of medications including inhalers not to make me better but in the off chance that I might be contagious. grr.
My odd note of the week. My Mother started her new job this week. She is working for a Tax company as an office manager. Anyway.. there main office is the old Bridges building. Imagine that... of all the offices in Terre Haute, it is a building that I worked in for a couple of years. Irony or just weird?

3 comments:

Amie said...

Well, *I* appreciate that you're taking medication to protect me from catching what ever nasty illness you have.
As for the job...at least you know there are other options you can move to, if you choose. I would bet that with all of the budget cuts Mitch is causing eventually your OT will go away as well.

Michele said...

Gosh, I hope things get better for you. I was just catching up on your blog since December. I had a shitty and unfair review from a boss I think hates me before Christmas and it was devastating. Also, my Grandma died right before Christmas and my mom fell on ice and broke her wrist. I also gained 8 pounds. I haven't weighed this much in 1 1/2 years and those stupid pounds won't leave! I can relate to alot of what you were talking about. I just try to think "this too shall pass" and focus on the good stuff. Wine helps too. LOL

Stephanie said...

The office building is more creepy than anything. I would say "don't be offended if I don't visit you at work, but......"

As for the job, that's cool that you are being asked. I would assume that it is because you are awesome at what you do!