Life is a funny thing... I had no idea a year ago my life would be on this path. I've found out many things.... this past year was the hardest year in my marriage. As my job went south and I decided to leave it directly effected my marriage. There were some really good days and some really bad days. I still stand by my decision to leave my job back in August, it was killing me slowly to be there, I needed to be home more at that time in my son's life, and I think my marriage would have suffered even more had I stayed there. In retrospect, I am glad I worked there, met the people I did, and helped change some people's lives. But, I truly believe for awhile that I had post traumatic stress disorder from that job.... you shouldn't break out in cold sweats or want to cry just thinking about a place.
As the months went one with no job (not even an interview) my self worth diminished to almost nothing. It doesn't help that our finances took a major hit and we had to use all of our little bit of savings. We have wonderful parents though that have been supportive from the start of this little adventure. I finally got a job! Yeah or so we thought. Similar type of work, it seems like I am stuck in a rut career wise. I enjoyed the job overall. The weird hours... I was responsible for my own schedule but if you don't work you don't get paid.. so I worked everything I could. It was hard getting back into the rhythm of working again. I made mistakes while there, I don't deny that at all. I still do not feel that anything I did should have resulted in my contract with them being canceled. Alas tho ugh, I was working for an agency that provided services to my old employer.... that same one that I felt was trying to break me down to nothing until I quit or they could fire me. (They rarely fire people but have a high rate of employees quitting.) So, when I messed up the last time, the 3rd time within my 90 days, the other agency pushed my new boss's hand. One minute they were going to setup a meeting to discuss everything and work everything out. After an hour (and receiving an e-mail), that was no longer an option and I was let go. That was a hard day to put it mildly. To make the matter even better, I was an independent contractor so I didn't get paid for 30-45 days after services rendered. (if then, I am still waiting on some of my income from October and all of November.)
Prior to Christmas we made the decision to stay in our home until mid-January. This was in the hopes that all of the jobs I had been applying to in the area hadn't been calling due to the holidays. Well, here we are the 5th of January and only one interview... and it wasn't for where we live. We've decided to go ahead and move. I am mostly at peace with this decision. I think the fact that I recently found out that my mother had a health scare hammered this home. (She had a suspicious mammogram in December, everything is fine right now. But she has to be tested twice a year now and be very vigilant.) I like the fact that I will only be 20 minutes away from my nieces... that has never happened in their lives. They are 18, 17 and almost 15. Andrea graduates from High School this year. I need to get to know them more as the young ladies they have become. I like the fact that I will be close to my parents, aunts, and uncles. I will be closer to some of my college friends who still live in the area.. But I will be taking Tristan away from everything he has ever know. Yes, he is young and he will adapt. But should he have to?
** I will finish this later when the little man is busy with daddy or asleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment