So, last week I got a visitor. An unwanted visitor, one who had been vacation for almost 2 years. Ahh, lovely AF decide to return. I know two years and I'm complaining. lol Between pregnancy and breast feeding, AF and I hadn't seen each other in awhile and I didn't really miss her. But, Bran and I recently began talking and thinking about a sibling for T. When would be the best time etc. So, even though I didn't miss AF, I wasn't crazy upset she returned.
Since we are extended breastfeeding (i.e. anything over a year is considered extended... yes, I am one of those women.) If you didn't know I also co-sleep with my child, use cloth diapers, use cloth wipes, delay vaccinations, believe in child led weaning when comes to breastfeeding, refuses to let me child cry it out ever and use attachment parenting. There it all is in black and white... or whatever color my font is now days. Anyway, typically a woman will not ovulate while breastfeeding. The hormones for breastfeeding suppress the hormones for AF. Not a bad trade off in my book. It is possible to ovulate while breastfeeding just not probable. Most women get their AF back when they are through breastfeeding, the child starts solid foods, the child is over a year old, or something major happens with the breast feeding schedule. There are a lot of variables that come into play as you can see. I guess I was lucky that mine stayed away until 14 months post par tum.
I was pleasantly surprised when AF returned. I have known women who had horrible times each month and then after a baby it was better. But, I have also known women who had the exact opposite happen. I know that pregnancy does funky things to your hormones even once you are no longer pregnant. Ever since I got my first monthly visitor I battled cramps. Sometimes very severe to the point of vomiting. I had been on various medications off and on to help. Nothing really did... some months were better than others but some side effects were worse than others. With out being too gross and detailed my experience last week was like what you read about in middle school or 5th grade health class. I didn't even have to take Tylenol once. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke and next month will be awful.
There is a product on the market called mama cloth. Prior to last week I would have never considered it and even thought it was a little gross. But after last week... I've been thinking should I or shouldn't I. Mama Cloth is exactly what it sounds like... cloth sanitary pads. In the long run the cost savings would be wonderful. I simply would be doing one or two extra small loads of laundry a month. I just can't make up my mind. Once I really thought about the it the gross factor was gone... it's not too much difference then what regularly happens each month. I hate disposable diapers and the how long they take to break down in the landfills. So is disposable sanitary pads that different in the long run. Just something I've been pondering for the last week. Honestly if my 15 year old self saw me now days she would be shocked.. lol. Maybe even my 25 year old self as well. Over the last two years I have definitely changed the way I think about some things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
For me, it would never work. Also without being too graphic...I'll just say endometriosis is a messy little biznitch and leave it at that. But if I could get away with not having to spend $50+ a month on the vast array of pads and tampons I must have, I so would. In a heartbeat.
I'm still stuck on the gross out factor. But, kudos to you if you opt to do it.
Well, I wouldn't, but I don't think it's weird at all if you want to. I think I could see doing it if I was a SAHM, but I don't know how it would work in aa busy work day at school. I had the same situation as you with the cramps. Mine used to be as strong as my early labor pains were later. After I had my first child, poof, they were goine. It was the hugest blessing from Heaven. I also followed many of the tenets of attachment parenting so I know what it's like to "go against the mainstream." The two big things I didn't do were delay vaccination and cloth diapers. The rest though, co-sleeping, extended nursing, baby-wearing, I did all of that.
Post a Comment